Overnight Parking at Rest Stops
Like many RVers, truckers, and car-travelers, we occasionally park at roadside rest stops overnight.
In which states is it legal to park overnight?
Each state has different official rules about this. Here's a list of the states that officially allow overnight (one night only) camping at roadside rest areas in self contained vehicles (no tents).
- Connecticut -– only on Illinois Toll Road
- Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
- New Mexico
- New York - emergencies only
- Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
- Oregon - 14-hour limit
- Wyoming - with some limitations
We've spent the night at roadside rest areas in other states as well and have never been rousted from sleep by the officials.